Residential fence heights range from about three feet tall to about eight feet tall, but there are several factors to consider when choosing the height of your fence. To choose the perfect fence height for your home you will want to determine the style and purpose of your fence, consider its location, and adhere to any local laws and regulations.
Determine Your Fence’s Purpose
What purpose do you want your fence to serve? Do want privacy from nosy neighbors? Do you want to keep out trespassers? Do you want to keep your dog and children in your yard? Do you want to secure your swimming pool?
Common Fence Heights
By determining your fence’s purpose, you will narrow down the height and material options.
- Decorative: These ornamental fences tend to be more for aesthetics than for security. Typically around three to four feet high, decorative fences are often created with wrought iron, vinyl panels, tubular bars, and other metals.
- Privacy: Available in wood, vinyl, and chain link, six-foot high privacy fences are normally sufficient to prevent your neighbors from looking into your windows and yard.
- Boundary: Often added to a home to create a clear boundary between your yard and a street or neighbor, these picket or ornamental fences are often three feet high in front yards and six feet high in back yards.
- Dog: The important question is “How high your dogs can jump?” A four-foot fence is adequate for most dogs, but a six-foot dog fence might be necessary for larger breeds or higher jumpers.
- Pool: Pool fences keep uninvited guests out and keep people and pets safe. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission provides general guidelines on pool fencing (usually at least four feet tall), but it is important to check the specific laws where you live.
- Garden: A three to four foot garden fence allows you to show off flowers or vegetables, while keeping out large animals. If smaller animals are a concern, consider a solid fence.
Check Local Laws and Regulations
Counties, cities, and homeowners associations often have their own regulations regarding fence height, color, materials, and location. It is very important to be aware of these laws and regulations before beginning your fencing project.
Partner with First Fence of Georgia on All Your Residential Fencing Projects
At First Fence of Georgia, we can install and repair all fence types and help you find the height that best suits your needs. To schedule an appointment with one of our estimators, please call us at (770) 214-4235 or contact us through our online form today.