Residential fences provide beauty, character and value to your home. Adding a fence can offer instant privacy and a level of security for children and pets. However, it is important to consider several factors before making your investment, including the type of fencing material you wish to use. Pressure treated wood was developed to combat the limitations of natural wood. If you are considering a pressure treated lumber fence, here are a few factors to consider.
- Strong and Durable: Denser than untreated wood products and resistant to scratches and dents, pressure treated lumber is perfect for long-term use.
- Affordable: Compared to other materials such as stone, concrete, aluminum, or steel, pressure treated wood is typically less expensive. It is also 30 – 40% cheaper than some types of wood, like redwood or cedar.
- Moisture Resistant: Pressure treated lumber will not soften and slowly decompose like natural wood.
- Fungal Resistant: Many different types of fungus can feed off the moisture in natural wood and start to grow, while pressure treated lumber is fungal resistant.
- Insect Resistant: When insects bore into wood the wood can be weakened, eventually causing structural problems. You will have no need to worry about wood-boring or wood-damaging insects with pressure treated lumber.
- Fire Resistant: One of the most dangerous threats to any type of wood is fire damage. Use flame retardant, pressure treated lumber in areas with increased risk of fire, such as outdoor kitchen, grilling, or fireplace areas.
- Chemical risks: Pressure treated lumber requires a chemical treatment. To avoid chemical contact with food, you should not use this lumber near your garden.
- Warping and Shrinkage: It may take several months for pressure treated wood to dry completely. During that time, expect some warping and shrinkage.
- Maintenance: Annual staining is necessary to protect the wood from fading, checking, splintering, or turning soft and porous.
Choose the Right Fence Contractor
To ensure a beautiful finished product, it is important to choose the right fencing partner. You want a contractor that is knowledgeable about wood fence installation and craftsmanship. Be sure to choose a professional company with plenty of experience. This includes references and knowledge of state, local, and community building codes as well as specialized tools. First Fence of Georgia is licensed and insured. We have over 15 years of experience installing some of the Atlanta area’s most elegant fences for both residential and commercial properties. Call First Fence of Georgia at 770-422-9996 or contact us through our online form today to begin your wood fencing project.