In addition to proper installation to ensure accuracy and longevity, you will likely compare fence types, materials, and designs to determine what works best for your space. Wood is a traditional material, offering a classic look when added as fencing to any home. Here are a few benefits and types of wood to consider.
Benefits of a Wood Fence
- Privacy and Security: Wooden fences maintain privacy, prevent access onto your property by unwanted people and animals, and protect your pets and children from wandering outside of your yard.
- Sound and Wind Barrier: A correctly installed fence consisting of the correct materials can absorb a significant amount of sound coming from the street or nearby properties. If wind flow reduction is a concern, a solid wood fence can reduce wind flow by as much as 50%.
- Available in a Variety of Styles: Wood fencing is available in a variety of styles, including privacy, louvered, lattice, rail, and picket.
4 Common Wood Types for Georgia Fences
Not all wood types are equal and the best choice for your project depends on the characteristics that are most important to you, such as rot resistance, appearance, durability, and price.
- Cedar: An excellent choice of wood for fencing, rot-resistant cedar has a longer lifespan compared to other types of wood and also contains natural insect-repelling oils.
- Cypress: Like cedar, cypress wood is also rot resistant and contains natural insect-repelling oils.
- Redwood: Chosen for its aesthetic value, redwood is most durable wood choice, but also the most expensive.
- Pine: Chosen for durability and affordability, pine is a common alternative to cedar, cypress, and redwood.
Other commonly chosen lumber options for wooden fences include oak, ipe, teak, and bamboo.
DIY or Partner with Professionals?
First Fence of Georgia offers materials services for DIYers as well as independent contractors. We maintain a large inventory of all commonly used fence supply components and will gladly special-order any non-standard fencing material as needed. Our Material Sales Staff can also assist you by recommending the components and fence supplies you will need for your project. If you are not an experienced DIYer, you will likely want to partner with a professional fencing company to ensure your wood fence is safe, long-lasting, and compliant with local codes. First Fence of Georgia offers a variety of wood fencing installation, repair, and staining options. Call us at (770) 214-4235 or fill out our online form to receive a free estimate today.